Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Three Years Ago


During my time at Geneva College, it was customary that a few senior classmen would share a message during the final chapel service of the semester.  A month or so before the end of the semester, I overheard that they were looking for some seniors to share.  I had no desire to stand in front of the entire school and speak; but I distinctly remember praying that if someone directly asked me to speak, I would agree.  Well, as you may have guessed, shortly afterward a member of the chapel committee walked up to me and said, “Hey, Dan, do you want to share something during the senior Chapel service?”  Hurmph.  “Okay.” I said, albeit reluctantly.

I graduated in 2013, so this all happened several years ago, and I vaguely remember my presentation.  At one of the chapel services earlier in the year, we learned about human trafficking and slavery. I choose to reflect on the choices that we make, and how whether knowingly or not, we oppose or support human trafficking.  All in all, I thought my talk went well and a few people told me shortly afterward that they would no longer be purchasing items from companies who supported or used slavery.  But it seemed as though that was the only reason I was prompted to speak, and it made me wonder if what I said really did make an impact.

Then, last Friday, I met someone who astonished me.  A friend invited me to attend an outing with him through his church.  Upon arrival, a man who I recognized as a former Geneva student walked up to me and this is how the conversation went, “Did you go to Geneva?” 
“Yes.”
“And you’re an EMT?” 
“Yep.” 
“And you spoke for senior chapel, right? About slavery and human trafficking?” 
“Yeah, I did.” 
“Yeah, I really liked what you said.”  He then continued to tell me that in response to my talk, he began a partnership with International Justice Mission (IJM) – an international organization focused on human rights, and they are currently the world’s largest anti-slavery organization.

It was so humbling to realize that God used me, despite my reluctance, to connect this man with IJM in a partnership that has had a tremendous effect on countless lives.  It was also an incredible blessing that God allowed me to see the results of my obedience, more than three years later.

Today, I would like to challenge you to step out in faith to do something that you have been reluctant to do. Perhaps you are being called to step into a new role in your church or ministry, but are fearful of inadequacy.  Perhaps you are being called to partner in missions financially, but fear you do not have the provision. Perhaps you are being called to love and help orphans, single parents, or victims of slavery and human trafficking, but do not know where to start.
Today I am challenging you to step out in faith.  Give your reluctance over to God and allow him to show you the results and rewards of your faithfulness. I pray Romans 15:13 for you, “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”  You never know, God may reveal his faithfulness to you through an invitation to a picnic.

2 comments:

  1. Brother Dan,

    You have no idea how much I needed to hear the encouragement you gave in this post. Thanks so much for your faithfulness. All the best to you and Carolyn -- you are in our prayers and our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am encouraged by this post. Starting in your header where you quoted Corrie ten Boom as saying, "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God", and ending with Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust Him...." We step past our reluctance, trust God, our faith in Him gets stronger, AND He fills us with all joy and peace! How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete