Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Physics and Schematics

I love schematics (the plans engineers use for building); they are captivating. The detail and planning that goes into them I find intriguing. Not to mention, if you are reading this in your head, stop for a second and say "schematics" out loud. Do it. "Schematics." Wasn’t that fun?!

I love schematics because a schematic removes all the unnecessary clutter and lets you get down to the nitty-gritty of the plan. It shows you what you need, and only what you need, to successfully construct and complete the core of what you are creating.

In 5th grade, one of my favorite books had a fascinating chapter that described in detail different secret passage ways and what they were used for. It talked about exciting things like trap doors and booby traps. It was great. It was clear to me that whoever built that castle had planned ahead in case they needed to use those secrets in a sticky situation. Not to mention they probably drew up some schematics too!

I plan. I like to plan. I like to plan everything. Perhaps it's a personal compulsion. I have plans in case my tire is flat in the morning or the battery is dead. I have plans for an appropriate course of action if my wife and I wake in the middle of the night to glass breaking or our door being pounded in. My calendar has everything in it from my work schedule to what day I need to pay which bills. I have multiple back up alarm clocks. I try to have plans for everything. Just in case.

When my plans change, I get thrown off. That is, unless I’m planning for my plans to change, but that’s another discussion. So, when I tell you I turned in my two weeks notice for my full-time job as a paramedic on Monday, perhaps you can understand why my world is a little shaken right now. The plan was to remain a full-time paramedic for quite a few months longer, but after weeks of prayer, the Holy Spirit directed that the time for change was now.

As you already know, Carolyn and I have been accepted to Wycliffe and we are just beginning this journey as missionaries. My plan was to work pretty much until it was time for us to go. But it became clear to us that the amount of time and effort spent in my full-time position was going to interfere with higher priorities. See, I only have so many hours in a day, and thanks to physics I cannot create more time nor can I be in two places at once.

When I stop to think about my priorities, the list is rather lengthy: my relationship with Christ is my top priority and my relationship with Carolyn second. After that we get into jobs and work, and now that Wycliffe is in the mix that has climbed up high on the list. My point is that my paramedic work comes after that. And what I realized is that by giving 60 or more hours a week to my paramedic work, other things began to fall off the list. Which is problematic especially since things like sleeping and self-care are some of the items that get shaved. My time with the Lord and with Carolyn has been cut short due to the demands of work, and while we knew this demanding schedule wouldn’t last "forever" we were convicted that the time to make a change was now.

It wasn’t my plan. And I didn’t see it coming so soon. But I know that the Lord who holds every single aspect of the entire universe in his hands saw this coming. And I fully believe that this is in His plans, and it’s for His glory. Now to clarify, I’m still going to provide financially for Carolyn and myself by working both part-time as a paramedic and helping out in a medical office in Pittsburgh. It will still be working enough hours in order to maintain our monthly budget, but the change in hours will grant Carolyn and I the flexible schedule we need to complete our training with Wycliffe.

This change will be an adjustment, I’m sure it’s one of many things that we will be giving up, after all we still have two cats and a house full of things that do not fit in a suitcase.

What your planning story? What is something that you planned for diligently and then the Lord guided you elsewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment